I have lots of eating apples in my fridge at the minute!!
Apples are a source of soluble fibre and may contribute to healthy cholesterol levels.
HOWEVER, I decided I wanted to something cheeky my apples so I went for these deliciously moist apple slices …. heavenly served with salted caramel. Keep reading for the recipe 😉.
Hope you enjoy!
175g unsalted margarine, softened
175g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
225g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp fromage frais
3 small eating apples, peeled, cored and cubed, softened in a pot with 2 tbsp demerara sugar, 1 tsp cornflour and 2 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line an 8/9″ square tin.
2. Cream the margarine and sugar.
3. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
4. Sift in the flour, baking powder and ginger and gently fold.
5. Fold in fromage frais followed by half of the apples and their syrup.
6. Transfer the batter to the prepared tin, top with the remaining apples and bake for 50 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean. (You may need to cover with foil after 30 minutes to prevent the cake from browning too much!).
7. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy warm with ice cream and salted caramel or cold with a cup of tea and good company. 💖